“Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.” ~ Zig Ziglar
Have you ever heard about Metacognition?
Metacognition is defined as “knowing about knowing”. It comes from the root word “meta”, meaning beyond and can take many forms, but to keep it simple – it’s the ability “to think about what you are thinking about”.
Metacognition enables us to be successful learners and has been associated with emotional intelligence. It helps you take active control over your thoughts and feelings, which ultimately gives you the confidence & courage to succeed, in all areas of your life.
Think about it for a minute, you and all successful people know that your thoughts are critical as they manifest what happens in your life. What you think, how you talk to yourself & the feelings are all seed that are planted and turn in to what you harvest later in your life.
This is why we you need to practice positive self talk, focus on positive thoughts and visions and treating yourself well.
How do you practice using metacognition?
- Step back and take a look at your emotional state, examine your mood
- Be honest with yourself – be willing to really examine what is going on to find the root cause of your current emotional state/mood.
- Ask yourself how your emotional state/mood is affecting you at this moment.
- What can you change and how?
- Now change your thoughts to change your emotional state/mood. This may take a change in scenery (go for a walk, take a drive, meditate, call a friend, etc)
Practicing self awareness & using metacognition is tied to emotional intelligence. Emotional Intelligence is a topic we’ll cover in another blog, however if you’re interested Daniel Goldberg has written some great books on the subject.
Take control of your emotions to take control of your life!