“I work really hard at trying to see the big picture and not getting stuck in ego. I believe we’re all put on this planet for a purpose, and we all have a different purpose… When you connect with that love and that compassion, that’s when everything unfolds” ~ Ellen DeGeneres
When you’re ego becomes a bigger part of who you are than your heart is, life becomes unbalanced. You may not even realize this is happening, but your ego drives you to do things that you heart may not want.
Ego driven behavior shows up in many different ways:
- Are you doing a job or working in a career you love or are you doing what you’re doing for status? If you’re not happy at work or in your career, ask yourself why. If it’s because you like the title, the pay/benefits, the status it gives you etc, but you are unhappy, work too many hours or are not satisfied, it may be your ego driving you.
- Are you always right, or do you always have to be right, rather than really listening and taking others input into consideration . . .guess what – it’s probably that darn ego.
- Do you think you’re better, smarter than or superior to others? Egos tend to put us on a platform.
- What is your reaction when someone gives you feedback or doesn’t understand what you’re trying to tell them? If you get mad, angry, walk away or put them down you may want to check your ego.
- Do you feel like you have to (or do you just like to) yell or bully people to get your way? Then your ego may be getting in your way – try listening to your heart
As a partner, a leader, a friend, etc – it’s important that you are able to leave your ego behind. Give up having to be “right” so you can help, listen, find solutions, etc. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, “You get more with honey than with vinegar” or something similar to that, well the same is true when you leave the ego behind and are open to hearing, seeing & being part of the bigger picture.
By using heart based thinking you will find you attract more communication, teamwork, positive experiences and improved relationships. The diagram below shows the difference in thinking between using your ego (head voice) and your soul (heart voice). Changing the words you use and think about will drive your behavior in the same positive manner.