“As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Do you trust yourself? Trust is a large part of the foundation of any relationship; your relationship with yourself and others, in business and in personal relationships. We’ve all been hurt and we’ve learned to forgive. (refer to the two previous posts) Sometimes we find it hard to trust after experiencing hurt. Do you trust yourself? When you say something like, “I’m going to start eating healthy on Monday” do you believe yourself? Do you follow through? Believe it or not even things like that can undermine your confidence to trust. Practice building trust with yourself and your ability to trust others will get stronger.
Simple ways to build trust:
- Do what you say you’re going to do.
- Show up when/if you say you will.
- If you are not going to be able to make a deadline, keep a commitment, etc., communicate honestly as soon as you realize you’re not going to be able to make the commitment.
- If you let yourself down, forgive yourself.
- If you let someone else down apologize, own your mistake.