“How would your life be different if…You stopped worrying about things you can’t control and started focusing on the things you can? Let today be the day…You free yourself from fruitless worry, seize the day and take effective action on things you can change.” ~ Steve Maraboli
Are you someone with a tendency to worry? We all fall into the worry trap at some point in our lives, however worrying doesn’t solve anything. If you’re worrying about something you bring the negative energy towards it and increase the odds of the “bad” thing happening.
Here are 5 steps to help you step back and put the worry aside:
1) Define The Worry: What is it exactly that you are worrying about? Write down all the specifics: Who, what, why. Be crystal clear and detailed in your description. (this alone will sometimes help you in finding the solution.)
2) Ask Yourself What the Worst Possible Outcome Could Be: Again, be completely clear in your answer. Most often the outcome will not ruin you forever, it may cause you some inconvenience, make you uncomfortable and/or be a nuisance but it’s most likely something you can recover from.
3) Accept the Worst Case Scenario: Accept that your worst possible outcome may occur and commit to dealing with it. What will that look/feel like? Be crystal clear and detailed in your description of what it will look/feel like and how you would deal with it.
4) Visualize the Perfect Outcome: Take some time to really think about and visual this. This is the description that you want most detailed of all of them. Sit back and think about how this looks, feels, smells, tastes, etc. Keep this vision in mind – where you focus your thoughts is where you energy goes.
5) Take Action: Plan, prepare & take forward action. Take the steps necessary to make the perfect outcome a reality. Get busy so you have no time to worry. Have you every noticed that when you’re engaged in “doing” you don’t have time to worry. Keeping your mind busy keeps it from wondering.
Worrying about things you don’t have the ability to control is fruitless. Focus on what you can control and focus on the positive to bring happiness, peace and success into your life.